What searches do I need when buying a house?

These are the property searches that are normally carried out:

  • Local Authority search – to obtain a variety of information from the local council, such as whether the property is affected by a planning enforcement notice or a known pollution incident etc
  • Drainage and water search – this checks that the property has mains water and drainage. The local water company will also provide other useful information, such as the position of pipes in relation to the property
  • Environmental search – this will check whether the property is affected by any contamination, flooding, landfill sites etc
  • Planning search – this will check planning applications in the local area. It will check whether the neighbours have got planning consent for a large extension that may affect your property or whether a planning application has been approved for a large superstore near to the property etc
  • Flooding search – this will check whether the property is in the vicinity of an area with a known flooding risk
  • Coal Mining – this will check if the property will be affected by old mine workings or if there is a new opencast mine nearby (it is likely you will need this search if you are buying in an old industrial area)
  • High Speed Rail 2 (HS2) search – this will check the property will not be affected by this new rail line
  • Chancel liability search – this will check that you won’t be liable to pay for the maintenance of the local church in the area of the property
  • Land Registry search – this will verify that the seller still owns the property on completion

If you would like Ringrose Law to act on your behalf for your conveyancing, please contact a member of the Conveyancing team at Ringrose Law at one of our offices in Lincoln, Boston, Grantham, Sleaford, Spalding and Newark

How can we help?

    Contact Details
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Google Privacy Policy, Our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.