What is a Conservation Area?

A conservation area is an area where Planning Officials consider that special care must be taken to ensure the unique qualities and appearance of an area are maintained. They are generally located in an older part of a towns or village.

What does it mean for me if the property I am purchasing is in a Conservation Area?

There are specific controls and special considerations that apply in relation to development within a Conservation Area.  For example, no buildings can be demolished without consent and any new development must reflect and suit the character that has been established for the area itself.  The criteria for altering and/or extending existing buildings can be restrictive – such as consent being required to install new windows or doors.  Trees are also protected whereby the owner will be required to give written notice to the Local Planning Authority of any intention to carry out works.

What happens if I do not comply with these restrictions?

If you do not observe these special conditions in relation to conservation areas, you could potentially face penalties. You must always check with the Local Planning Authority regarding any intended works that you plan to carry out as the Planning Authority can confirm if there are any specific requirements that you need to observe.  If you are carrying out repairs to the property that are essential then it is important to check with the Local Authority whether you are eligible for a grant in respect of these.

How will I know if the property I am purchasing is in a Conservation Area?

We will request a Local Authority search on the property you are purchasing.  The result of this search will identify if the property is within a Conservation Area.  We will then report to you on this and also whether any specific restrictions apply to your property.  The seller will also be required to disclose details of specific work undertaken at the property and whether any required consents were obtained.

If you have any questions about Conservation Areas or would like Ringrose Law to act on your behalf in your sale or purchase, please contact a member of the Conveyancing team at Ringrose Law at one of our offices in Lincoln, Boston, Grantham, Sleaford, Spalding and Newark.

How can we help?

    Contact Details
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Google Privacy Policy, Our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.