Personal Injury Solicitors

Child Accident Claim

Do you have a child accident claim?

If your child (under the age of 18years old) has been involved in an accident that wasn’t their fault you may be able to make a child accident claim for compensation.

At Ringrose Law our personal injury team has years of experience representing children who have been involved in a no fault accident.  We will work hard to ensure that your child receives the maximum amount of compensation, and will help them with the recovery process.

We can act for your child on a No Win No Fee basis which means that they will keep 100% of their compensation.

What is a child accident claim?

A common child accident claim can include;

  • Accidents at school or nursery caused by inadequate supervision or unsafe premises or equipment.
  • Accidents in a play ground or soft play area
  • Accidents at an after-school or sports club
  • Road Traffic Accidents

How does a child accident claim process differ comparison to an adult claim?

A child is not able to provide instructions to a solicitor.  This means that they need to have an adult (known as a litigation friend) do this on their behalf.

Usually a parent acts as a litigation friend, but it could be a grandparent, guardian or other appropriate adult.

Prior to agreeing any settlement for a child accident claim an opinion needs to be sought from a barrister about the value of their claim.

If we are able to negotiate a settlement on behalf of your child then this settlement must be approved by a judge.

This means that a very brief hearing takes place at the end of the claim.

The hearing is very informal and usually only lasts for around twenty minutes, it is in the judge’s chambers (not in open court) and the judge will not wear robes.

It is a final check to ensure that a fair and appropriate settlement has been reached on behalf of the child.

Will my child receive compensation immediately if the child accident claim is successful?

Compensation is usually paid in a bank account at the court funds office. It then stays there and gains interest until the child reaches 18 years old, it is then paid directly to them. It is possible to request payments out of the settlement prior to the child reaching 18 years old.

Child accident claim – What can be claimed for?

A child can claim compensation for the pain and suffering that their injury has caused them.

The child or parent/guardian can also claim any out of pocket expenses that have been incurred, this could include; prescription charges and travel expenses.

If you or anybody else has had to provide care for the child (over and above that which is usually provided by reason of their age) they can claim for their time too.

What should I do now?

If your child has been injured in an accident that wasn’t their fault and would like to make a child accident claim for compensation then contact our personal injury team now.  We are happy to offer a free initial appointment.

You should make sure that you report the accident to the appropriate person (and ensure that they make a record of the accident) and seek medical attention for your child’s injuries.

For further advice and information contact our expert team today.

How can we help?

Contact Details
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

John Knight Ringrose Law portrait
John KnightSenior Director & Solicitor
01522 561020
Kelly LangworthyPartner & Solicitor, Personal Injury
01522 561020
Richard Teare Ringrose Law portrait
Richard TearePartner & Solicitor, Personal Injury & Medical Negligence
01522 561052
Rebecca Freitas Ringrose Law portrait
Rebecca FreitasSolicitor & Senior Associate, Criminal Law
01522 561069
View all the team

How can we help?

Contact Details
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

General enquiries: 0333 3580 393Your local office: NewarkGranthamSleafordBostonLincoln