Court of Protection

Time Limited Live with Child Arrangements Order

At Ringrose Law, we understand that having to make decisions for someone else, or have someone make decisions for you, can be a very difficult situation.

If someone you care about is having difficulties in making decisions about their finance and property or their personal welfare you need to try and establish if they have made an Enduring or Lasting Power of Attorney. If so, the attorneys will need to step in and act. Please see the section on Lasting Powers of Attorney for more details.

If there are no such attorneys and you want to be able make these decisions it may be necessary to apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as a Deputy for that person in order to assist with managing their affairs.

What does the Court of Protection deal with?

An order from the Court will usually be necessary for matters relating to the property and affairs of people who lack capacity to make specific financial decisions for themselves. The Court can also give powers relating to personal welfare, such as giving or withholding consent to medical treatment and/or social care interventions.

Powers given will depend on the needs of the person you have been appointed to assist and also the Court’s view of the circumstances. You must only make those decisions you are authorised to make by the order of the Court and you must make decisions in the person’s best interests.

We can help

If you need to apply to the Court of Protection we can help. We’ll make sure the whole process is as easy and stress-free as possible for you, and provide you with the best advice every step of the way. Contact one of our Wills and Probate Specialists at one of our offices across Lincolnshire & Nottinghamshire in Boston, Grantham, Lincoln, Newark, Sleaford and Spalding.

Frequently Asked Questions

Start your Free Enquiry Form Start a Free Enquiry