Transfers of Equity and Gifts

Buying a Property

What are Transfers of Equity?

Transfers of Equity are transfers of a property where the people are connected to each other for example on a divorce where the matrimonial home is being transferred from joint names to a sole name or where two people move in together and want to put the house into their joint names.

The first question that we will ask you is whether you have a mortgage on the property. If you do then you will need to apply to your mortgage company for their consent to the Transfers of Equity. Most companies have a standard application form which you will need to fill out and send back to them so that the can look at the application and decide if they are happy (they may require a fee to be paid for this service).

Once you have your mortgage company’s consent we can prepare the transfer document. It may be that we need to arrange for the solicitor on the other side of the divorce to approve it. We will also arrange for you to sign. This can either be in a face to face meeting or if it is easier for you we can send it to you. Your lender may require searches to be done, however we will look into this for you.

It could be that stamp duty is payable and we will talk you through this so that you can budget accordingly.

Once the document has been signed we will send it to the Land Registry so that the necessary changes can be made showing the new owners or owners.

Start your Free Enquiry Form Start a Free Enquiry