Deed of Separation

What is a Deed of Separation?

Issues addressed in a deed of separation are similar to those issues in a divorce process and include the division of assets and debts, child support and access to children and spousal support.

Can a deed of separation be used at a divorce?

A deed of separation can protect your interests until you decide to get divorced and often sets a precedent for the divorce that may follow. For that reason, it is important that you agree to a deed of separation that both parties are happy with.

Do we have to go to Court?

It is possible to enter into a written separation agreement without having to go to Court. Private agreements are generally more amicable, cheaper and can cause less upset, especially if there are children involved.

What will happen to the Children?

Generally, depending on the circumstances of the separation, a Residence Order can be agreed upon. This will determine which parent the child shall reside with but also provides details of contact for the other parent.

Do I need a solicitor?

Although not compulsory it is advisable to allow a Solicitor to draft a formal separation document, a deed of separation particularly if there are children involved, having the right legal advice is very important. We also offer a mediation service, which may be an alternative to separation or divorce.

To find out more contact our family law team in Boston, Lincoln, Grantham, Sleaford, Spalding and Newark.

Frequently Asked Questions

Start your Free Enquiry Form Start a Free Enquiry